Catechu, also known as catechu paste, is a perennial woody plant with a plant height of about six to ten meters. It is a commonly used Chinese herbal medicine. The pods are ribbon-shaped, about five to twelve centimeters long, and the flowers are pale yellow or white. The flowering period is about four months. It is widely planted in my country’s Yunnan, Hainan and other humid climates, and the efficacy and effects of catechu are very significant.
Introduction to Catechu
[Alias]: catechu cream, baby tea, black catechu
[Medicinal material category]: Other
[Nature and flavor]: bitter, astringent, slightly cold.
【Guijing】: Guixin, Lung Meridian.
[Medicinal part]: It is a dry extract made from dried branches of the leguminous Acacia plant catechu with water and decocted juice.
[Origin and distribution]: Distributed in southern Yunnan, cultivated on Hainan Island.
[Morphological characteristics]: Catechu is a small deciduous tree with a height of 6-13m. The bark is brown, often cracked into strips, but does not fall off; the minor features are pubescent. Two pinnate compound leaves, alternate, 6-12cm long; there are often a pair of flat, brown hook-like spines or none under the stipules; there are glands between several pairs of pinnaes near the base of the total petiole and the top of the leaf shaft; the leaf shaft is covered Long pubescent; pinnae 10-30 pairs; leaflets 20-50 pairs, linear, 2-8mm long, 1-1.5mm wide, leaf margins are sparsely hairy. Racemes are axillary; the calyx is simple, the upper part is 5-lobed, with sparse hairs; the petals are 5, yellow or white, lanceolate or oblong needle-shaped, 2-3 times the length of the calyx, sparsely hairs; stamens are numerous, Filaments separate, sticking out of corolla; pistil 1, ovary upper, long ovate, style slender. The pod is band-shaped, 5-12cm long, 1.8cm wide, brown, shiny, and cracked, with a stalk 3-7mm long, with a beak tip at the apex, purple-brown. 3-10 seeds. Flowering from April to August, fruiting from September to next.
The efficacy and role of catechu
Clear heat and resolve phlegm, restrain sores and stop bleeding. Used for cough with lung heat, hemoptysis, diarrhea, dyspepsia in children; external use to treat sores, skin eczema, aphtha, tonsillitis.
1. “Introduction to Medicine”: Eliminate blood, cure all sores.
2. “Materia Medica”: lowering fire and producing body fluid, clearing phlegm, salivation and coughing, treating aphthous and throat numbness, displeasant heat, quenching thirst, vomiting blood, dysentery, hematochezia, hematuria, dysentery blood, and women’s collapsing, menstrual bleeding. Children with chancre fever, mouth sores, heat sores, damp and rotten sores, astringent muscles grow flesh, and also kill all insects.
3. “Materia Medica Preparations”: Tu Yin chancre and hemorrhoids.
4. “Pursuing the Truth of Materia Medica”: Treating the miasma during the time.
5. “Compilation of Medicinal Materials”: treat burns, reduce inflammation and relieve pain. Treats inflammation of the eye conjunctiva, nasal cavity, and oral cavity.
1. Elimination of phlegm: catechu, mint leaves, fine tea. It is the last honey pill. Contains three or five capsules after a meal. (“Materia Medica”)
2. Cough treatment: catechu two or two, asarum four money, one pig gallbladder. The first two medicines are researched together, and the bile is refined and cooked. The three medicines are made into pills, and each pill weighs one dollar. Four times a day, one pill each time, fasting. (Inner Mongolia “Selected Materials of New Chinese Herbal Medicine Law”)
3. Hemostasis: calcined keel, elephant skin, old lime, old rosin, Dalbergia odorifera, dragon’s blood, catechu, white and powder are divided into equal parts. The total is fine, grind until silent, and sprinkle on the sore. (“Practical Osteopathy”)
4. Treatment of malnutrition and aphthous: baby tea, borax and equal parts. Paint for the end. (“Outline”)
5. Treatment of malaria: Baby tea, realgar, and Fritillaria are divided into equal parts. In the end, Mi Mian rinsed and brushed it. (“Jidetang Experience Formula”)
6. Treatment of acute tonsillitis: catechu, persimmon cream each three money, borneol two points, dry alum two money. Study the fine powder together, mix it into a paste with glycerin, and apply it to the affected area. (“Selected Works of All Exhibitions · Otorhinolaryngology Diseases”)